SMH Cardiac Rehabilitation
O U T P A T I E N T C A R D I A C R E H A B I L I T A T I O N
Our Outpatient Cardiac Rehabilitation program is designed to maximize each individual’s level of well-being by promoting positive lifestyle changes. Our goal is to prevent cardiovascular disease and to assist patients with disease to achieve a full and productive life.
Cardiac Rehabilitation monitors and improves the recovery process, increases physical fitness, and reduces the risk of new cardiovascular related disorders. This is accomplished through a combination of supervised exercise sessions and education intended to improve each individual’s level of physical conditioning and understanding of heart disease.
Focusing on lifestyle behaviors, Cardiac Rehabilitation teaches about heart disease, symptoms and management, and helps decrease risk factors for coronary artery disease. Program staff will provide educational opportunities to help patients stop smoking, lose weight, lower high blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce stress in a supportive and motivational environment.
B E N E F I T S O F C A R D I A C R E H A B I L I T A T I O N
- Provides an exercise program that is effective, safe and appropriate for the individual’s health, age, and physical ability.
- Covers topics such as recovering from heart disease, recognizing warning signs and symptoms, progressing physical activity at home and returning to work.
- Reduces the risk of a new heart attack by offering risk factor screening and modification programs for the patient and family members.
- Functions as an interactive communication tool between the physician and patient.
- Provides attending physician(s) with valuable information about the patient’s recovery and progress by monitoring vital signs, symptom and exercise response including electrocardiogram (when indicated), heart rate, blood pressure and perceived exertion.
- Provides specific guidelines for physical activity in a supportive, encouraging and motivating environment.
- Serves as a resource for empowering educational information about heart disease and prevention and how to reduce your risk through good nutrition and physical activity.
- Provides long-term supervised exercise and education through our
- Phase III and/or Fitness Center maintenance programs.
Allen Duyck, Physical Therapist
Rehabilitation Services Supervisor
Cory Renk, M.S., R.C.E.P.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Coordinator
Greer Fish, R.N., M.S.
Gwen Sample, R.N.
Julie Richey, RD, CDE
This phase is an inpatient activity program that takes place during the hospital stay as ordered by the patient’s physician. During this program patients are prepared for activities of daily living upon discharge. Furthermore, patients and significant others may receive education
regarding heart disease, risk factor reduction, activity guidelines as they return home, and symptoms which should be reported to their physician.
This is a physician referred outpatient program offered at Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital usually within the first month following hospital discharge. During this program, patients attend regularly scheduled exercise sessions that are individually prescribed and supervised by trained staff members. During this phase patients receive blood pressure and heart rhythm monitoring with each session. Furthermore, patients receive education regarding heart disease, dietary modifications, risk factor reduction and other health related topics.
This is a physician referred, extended outpatient/maintenance program designed for graduates of the Phase II program who choose, or require additional rehabilitation in a supervised setting. Participants in this program receive an individual exercise program, blood pressure and heart rate monitoring each session. Furthermore, patients receive continued education consistent with the Phase II program.
A physician referral is required for admission to these programs. Once your physician has ordered Cardiac Rehabilitation, please call (906) 341-3276 or 1-888-460-8724 ext. 3276 to arrange an appointment for program entry.
O R I E N T A T I O N S E S S I O N
You will be scheduled for an orientation session to the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program. At this time a staff member will review your medical history, go over your exercise prescription and establish goals for program. Your risk factor profile for cardiovascular disease will also be evaluated and goals will be set to help you lower your risk. Furthermore, the staff will orient you to all of the components of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.
Many insurance companies including Medicare, may provide coverage for Phase I and Phase II Cardiac Rehabilitation. For additional information about insurance coverage, please contact the Cardiac Rehabilitation staff at (906) 341-3276 or 1-888-460-8724 ext. 3276.
SMH CARDIAC REHABILITATION
7870W US Hwy-2
Manistique, MI 49854
(906) 341-3276 or 1-888-460-8724